The blogging journey, inspiration and a million hits...

posted on: Friday, 20 July 2012

It's funny, I go through stages of thinking a lot about this blog and what it all means. When I started writing it a few years back I had no idea where it would lead. I knew I liked to write, I felt I had stuff to say about my world and I loved the pretty pictures that proliferated the web. Curating those pictures has now become a calming routine for me; like devising my own stamp of prettiness. And as for followers, I have those who have been around since the first post (in fact Simone, whose blog inspired me in the first place, left my first ever comment; bizarre). Followers come and go, sometimes I look and see that a fair few have dropped away and I wonder why? Then others join and I figure: it's a movable feast.


There are followers who don't comment and commenters who don't follow. There are friends. I have made genuine friends. Those who I now text on a weekly basis, who I have met in real life, who I think about and worry about when their times are hard. Those whose stories have become my stories when I relay them to others. 

I have seen bloggers take their blogs to the next step; they make it their day job. To enter the fray of industries that are new to them and to try their hand. I read this blog post yesterday from British Beauty Blogger about some of the hardships of beauty blogging and can see real parallels with blog friends of mine who have entered the world of fashion and wedding planning respectively. It can be hard but at the same time, there is so much good in it. Amanda from The Online Stylist is like a breath of fresh air in the world of blogging. She does not write a word that is not true; she is honest and positive and I have such admiration for her excitement at where she has found herself in life.

Then my friend Rhiannon a wedding planner from heaven, whose blog Hey Gorgeous has evolved over time as it complements her business. It literally makes me want to be 15 years younger, to live in Michigan and to be getting wed, just so I could have her 'do' my wedding.

Or Natasha, lawyer-come-photographer with the most to-die-for Internet love story under her belt. Or Sophie, whose pure enthusiasm for life is so infectious it makes me smile every time I read her posts. Or Tania, who writes like I think; but with more beautiful prose than my brain could ever conjure.

All of these real examples of real women whose blogs have inspired me. 




And so to my little blog. 

This week it reached a million hits! 
Like that moment in the film 'The Social Network' where the facebook gets its millionth member. Just when Mark Zuckerberg realises that even that hasn't made him happy, that he has still betrayed his friend and probably should have thought twice about partnering with that guy from Napster. Anyway I digress...

The point is - here's to a million hits on 'Lou, Boos and Shoes'! Here's to the million people who stopped by. Here is to the beauty business L'Apothecary that was borne out of this blog.  Here's to what comes next...

Well done us.



21 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
    Always look forward to reading your blog.
    Here's to the next million.
    Have a lovely weekend,
    Lizx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even imagine.
    Congratulations to you!
    Leslie (aka Gwen Moss blog)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations indeed! Your blog has remained steadfast in my Reader as others have come and gone. You remain an inspiration and a kindred spirit, and I look forward to reading more of what you are thinking. (as well as to purchasing more of your lovely oils!) Happy weekend! - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATULATIONS! 1 Million hits - that's amazing - you must feel so very proud. 100% well deserved - I find your leap from 'blog' to 'business' incredibly inspiring. Here's to a million more!
    best wishes,
    Paula xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. good job! congratulations!! we're always with you even though we don't comment much, we follow and usually just read.. Wishing you 5 more millions of hits pretty soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, how exciting!! Very well deserved indeed. Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!! Here's the next million!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi Lou - one million - wow!. Always love reading your words here. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats some achievement! Congrats. Onwards and upwards as they say!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post Lou and Congrat's!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog is the first I read every morning,I'd like to write but I have problems with the language
    Congratulations! I'm so happy for you,
    love,
    daniela

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy moly, Lou - a million hits!! That is incredible (but so very well deserved). Congratulations. xox

    PS. Thank you for the mention :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love seeing blogs flourish and grow ~ yours included Lou. I adore Rhi and I am like a proud big sister when I read her posts and see her tweets. I don't have to tell you how much I love Simone and I am over the moon happy that her blog has done as well as it has. I go through spurts of reading and posting lately ~ summertime and nice weather takes me outside longer and away from all things electronic which is not a bad thing. Congrats on a million hits ~ amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on getting your million hits! That must feel wonderful! I stayed away from my blog for 2 months because I became too busy and was struggling internally with something only to realize that when I stopped last May was my blogs anniversary. Your blog has been a part of my journey as well and I wanna congratulate you on how you have touched(im sure!) a lot of people's lives just by sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. CONGRATULATIONS!! I found you not so long ago via the lovely Simone, and I just love your authenticity when you write. I also love your new oils ;-)
    Both blogging and biz success is so well-deserved xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Huge hugs from across the waters....

    I still love coming here as much as I did that very first day I cam across your wonderful windswept hair blowing across your header!

    I always feel like we did sit round that big country table- you, Simone and I- and I love that every Christmas you may stop for a moment, as you pull out your children's stockings...and think how blessed you are, we all are, that you put your thoughts here....

    Cheers sweet English friend...

    Melissa xxxx

    Miss Sew & So

    ReplyDelete
  17. “I’ll Call You If I Need a Big Mess”
(a fun rap), “I’m Your Little Sister,” “I Used to Be an Only Child” are fun songs included in one of our upbeat CDs for kids. Kids’ CDs reviewed by School Library Journal. We raised two kids and are award-winning songwriters. I was a teacher for 20 years. We have songs for parents, too, including fun songs, love songs, and songs with popular girls names—good for weddings and parties.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/gennaro/id5999799

    http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Gennaro

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done you, you have created the most wonderful & beautiful blog....a million hits, who would have thought it, AMAZING!!!!

    And thank you for the mention....I feel very happy (and fortunate) to have been here since the beginning :) XX

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lou, biggest congratulations to you! I don't remember how I came across your blog but have been reading it religiously for years and this is my first comment. I live in Australia and still love all your stories and everyday adventures. Keep up the fabulous work x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats! I get behind on blog reading, but I'm always around. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails