Summer envy...

posted on: Tuesday, 10 July 2012

I feel as if I am being slowly driven mad by the rain and murk; like some sort of aversion therapy but with no known objective! I know I hate rain, why must it be proven to me again and again every day? I am suffering from summer envy. I feel am being deprived of all of those lovely summer things; impromptu beach barbecues, eating outside, feeling warm. Wearing cotton, or linen or (shock!) only one layer!

photograph by olivia rae james
It means that everything is resting on the time we have away in August. My husband is already warning me that I am placing a disproportionate importance on it, such that post-holiday blues will surely result. Post-holiday blues are the peril of the Brit; we have so little access to proper summer holidays that returning to face imminent Autumn is just too much! For a slice of summer beauty I like to go to this blog with the most wonderful photographs by Olivia Rae James.

So, I must look to the bright side. Things to consider:

A renewed focus on health - my health - the kid's health; the need to eat good stuff made from real ingredients. Wholesome and nurturing fruit and vegetables. Even the juicer has made an appearance.

photograph by olivia rae james

The weekend I spent looking after my blonde-haired, blue-eyed nephew went well; he seemed to like it!

A summer (!) ball coming up on Friday with a vintage theme; I'm thinking 1940s elegant.

Attempting to get through this last week of school without getting too sentimental about moving on.

Seeing the good in change. A friend tried to convince me...it's a good and necessary thing!


photograph by olivia rae james

Three weeks in the sun IS coming my way...thank goodness. Everything leads to that time!

Everyone, without exception, likes the L'Apothecary 'British Blend'; it was my wild-card entry to the product range, but it has turned out to be a little star!


photograph by olivia rae james

13 comments:

  1. Ugh. I do not envy you. I am a sun person myself (altho we have been getting too much of a good thing here in America!). Hopefully you have some fabulous vacation plans that include plenty of sunshine...???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh I know, this rain is endless....our Sports Day has been rescheduled three times!!

    I know EXACTLY what you mean about placing disproportionate importance on the holidays....I booked ours on January 1 this year & feel as though I have been dreaming about it and living for it forever!! September is going to be hard for us in so many ways Lou, how are we going to get through it!!?? We shall find a way :)

    I am LOVING the British Blend and cannot say enough good things about it :)

    And the Summer Ball sounds wonderful, how lovely!! XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. A collective sun dance is called for. We Brits do put up with a lot re our weather but this year, our "stiff upper lip" is being challenged too far.

    As you know I adore your rosehip facial oil, it is a daily requirement of mine. However I have heard so many wonderful reviews of your British Blend oil, it is definitely on my shopping list, very soon.

    Simone is right, this next phase in school life is a natural progression that will allow your children to blossom and realise their potential, that is not to say that the transition isn't difficult and emotional. I remember it well.

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. absolutely new follower...

    Selene
    Hip&Chips

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blech, I know what you mean. It rained almost all summer here and it was HORRIBLE. So much for the hot Australian summer! Personally, I have always thought that it should only rain at night (I love lying in bed and listening to the rain!) so that it is over and done with by morning when we all have things to do and sunshine to enjoy!

    Enjoy the summer ball - I'm sure you will look beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always follow your blog,
    love,
    Daniela

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ball sounds like so much fun ~ I would love to have something like that to look forward to right now! The sun has been shining here and looking forward to your 3 weeks away is not a bad thing Lou ~ we go through so much weather to get to the summer and warmth and sunshine that when things fall short we get disappointed. Your friend is very wise ~ change is good for the soul although we can never see the benefits of it at the time. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been 40+ºC here in Spain for the last 2 months. I can't wait to feel some cool rain on my skin. Thankfully my British Blend is helping the state of my forever dry-resembling an old leather bag-skin ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you warm, warm, sunny, summery, lazy days ahead. They ARE the best and tide us over for months. Hope you are well. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw! I just love what Lori said. We indeed go through so much weather before we reach the summer. Though, in your case, it should be taken literally, it also has a deep and wonderful meaning figuratively. Nice basket of fruits! Mix some yogurt in them and enjoy. Smile!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope it's sunny the entire time you're away in August!! I wouldn't be able to take the dreariness of rain much either!

    ReplyDelete
  12. well no weather envy here. im currently on a break in new zealand and it's COLDDD but still beautiful. hope it's sunny on your holiday which im sure it will be x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sending you lots of sunshine from France. I've got sun allergy, if it's a bit of comfort...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails