Like it is...

posted on: Thursday, 7 June 2012

Sometimes I pull together a blog post that is full of inciteful wisdom about this life, or biting social commentary or an appreciation of anything ranging from interiors to fashion. Today none of that. I have to tell it like it is.

via pretty stuff
This place is my place to share; to send my thoughts out into the ether. Often friends and commenters write that they like my honesty, my truthfulness, the fact that I say what is real and there is no subtext. I need to NOT loose that quality now. The worst thing that could happen would be for my readers to feel that I am trying to sell to them in every post. I'm not; as far as L'Apothecary goes, you can take or leave it (I do hope you take it, but hey). Some wise advice from my good friend Amanda is that business blogs and twitter feeds can be dull; personal business blogs are not. This place is personal and whilst it has clear links to the business, it's still Lou, pure and simple. I hope that's OK.

So what's happening of late?

Jubilee weekend came and went in a over-committed blur. Proud to be British, in love with Catherine's dresses and in awe of the Queen, but over-committed nevertheless. We did so much I can hardly recall. Do you ever do that? Where every invite seems like a must-do? I realised that there is very little that we 'must-do' other get some down time. One night spent with great friends who have the ultimate party house; a spontaneous evening pool party whilst the Juiblee concert played. We came away feeling chilled and that was necessary.

via pretty stuff
Incidentally, can I just say that being an entrepreneur is HARD WORK?!!! Oh my goodness I am so far out of my comfort zone it's just not even funny anymore. I find myself reeling from conversations with my business partner with all of the crucial things that need doing. So much it makes my head spin. But this is what it's all about isn't it? Is it OK to admit it's hard? There; I did it. It's hard. And fascinating. And it has that 'living the dream' quality that I want to bottle and keep for a rainy day. Meanwhile the day job continues; employment law never looked so safe and so familiar!

via pretty stuff
My yearning for summer heat heightens and I find myself counting down the days til I get some guaranteed sun when we go away in a few months. I am becoming convinced that I actually lived in a warm climate, I would be doubly productive. Can anyone attest to that? If I lived in Florida I would be unstoppable ;-)

I think I am longing for some soothing, I know this as I found myself watching 'Elizabethtown' last night; a perennial favourite...'It's not goodbye, it's just goodbye'. There is something so whimsical about that film that it makes me catch my breath. And the soundtrack is just...lovely, in a throw-back to your childhood kinda way.


We've taken to having early evening roller discos in our house. Boo sports her skates and travels around our ancient flagstone floors, looping the kitchen table while we listen to Katy Perry. I am OK with this as I cook supper. I find I know all the words. Meanwhile my son is lego star wars mad. I can recite the entire storm trooper clan. I am OK with this too.

How is it with you?

...and finally via pretty stuff

17 comments:

  1. I like this little insight into your life. At the moment we are both working hard at work and at home on all things wedding. Every now and then it dawns on me how soon it is. I keep wanting to try my dress on, or do something fun like that but there are place cards to write and favours to make. It is all quite exciting though - but I am getting a little bit tired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabethtown is a big fave of mine too. Love everything about it.
    Days are flying past here. Just 4 more school days until the long US summer vacation begins - yikes! Twelve weeks seems slightly frightening! But with vacation, summer camps and our dutch babysitter coming to stay for a month, I know its going to be fun filled and at the end of it we'll be asking how 12 weeks went sooooo quickly.
    I'm dreaming of Florida and counting the days until we are at our favourite beach house and playing in that gorgeous white sand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you were not you in your posts I think I would have to come over there and check on you! Loved all of the jubilee celebrations ~ seeing the queen smiling so much but missing Prince Phillip ~ she does look lost without him. Have a fabulous week-end. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that personal blogs are a reflection of our lives, and it's been a natural thing to share your joy and excitement over your new business. Don't feel guilty. Personally I think it's lovely to watch our fellow bloggers grow and spread their wings.
    Leslie (aka Gwen Moss Blog)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your sharing your life with us! So real and exactly how I typically feel. We are more alike than not.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes of course please stay personal! These little glimpses of life are real, and it's always interesting to see how our lives parallel each other in so many ways, big and little. Now I must admit to you that I've never seen Elizabethtown. I have no idea why, either - I adore Cameron Crowe and have seen all his other movies, but this one passed me by for some reason. I think it's time to remedy that. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lou your wonderful blog and your new business are both a wonderfully personal insight into your life and we all really appreciate you sharing it with us. The business is a part of you that we are delighted and eager to read about - to support you and share in your excitement during this incredible journey is not only a privilege, but also an inspiration to those of us who are still slightly too scared to follow our dreams. Keep it real and keep it coming - we love it all!
    Paula x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for reminding me to watch Elizabethtown again, I remember seeing it for the first time all those years ago and loving it.

    Early evening roller discos ... now that sounds fun ;-)

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog and love that you started up your own business. Brands with a true heart and soul - isn't that what we all long for? Keep going. I am sure it will be worth it in the end.
    PS: Oil feels sensational on the skin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely loved this post, your life + blog is incredibly inspiring to me. I always look forward to your posts!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Lou, follow your heart! you don't impose the products you sell in any way��. Love your bog! Enjoy a lovely weekend, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wrote two smileys that appeared as question marks. Sorry :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really intersting post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lou, you are so right! Being an entrepreneur IS hard work! But with that hard work comes the most amazing sense of satisfaction and happiness. It will all be worth it soon just keep plugging away, working hard and following your heart. I admire you and your tenacity :) And think your business endeavour is going to just take off! Lots of love, Rhiannon xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for that inspiring post. I admire how hard you work and at the same time how you take it so lightly that you have these kinds of insights. Plus the creativity on the pictures is hard to ignore. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never seen Elizabethtown. I heard mixed reviews early on and never gave it another thought.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I adore this post...makes me want to come back- visit you for a little roller disco show...be tempted by all your gorgeous products and just stop and talk of warmer weather....
    Almost winter here and raining madly one day and gloriously sunny the next!
    Feels like England!

    Huge Hugs....Melissa xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails