Danish summer...

posted on: Wednesday, 30 May 2012

Light evenings always make me think of summers spent in Denmark as a child. My Mum is Danish and so every year we would make a pilgrimage back to see our family and to spend lazy summers around the lakes, just outside of Copenhagen.


I remember balmy evenings in that clear Scandinavian twilight, as the grown-ups drank wine or Campari and my cousins and I would hope that no one would insist we went to bed. Our days spent at the beach or in Copenhagen's Tivoli Gardens, riding roller coasters and eating so much liquorice it made our stomachs ache.

via skona hem
I recall my Grandmother's (Mormor's) homemade gooseberry flan, made from fruit from her garden,  and sipping her elderflower cordial. Hours spent as a child, listening and absorbing a language that I didn't understand but whose intonation soothed me nonetheless. Even now if I hear Danish spoken, it is so familiar to me at the same time to being completely alien. I barely understand a word. But the sounds, they are like a lullaby.

I get this every now and then; a hit of childhood nostalgia that I can virtually taste. I figure this is how it works - things that happened thirty years ago are as memorable as things that happened yesterday. I like being acutely conscious of these memories though, they are what make me...me.

via skona hem


19 comments:

  1. Lovely memories. Sounds like you could be wishing for a revisit once again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading this Lou....so funny that we are both reminiscing about childhood summers this week, I wrote about the very same thing yesterday!!

    I've never been to any Scandinavian countries, I imagine them to be beautiful though...whAt a lovely Memory to have Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I likened memories like this to a well worn sweater that hug me tight ~ they are the best Lou. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. so lovely...i'm standing in my kitchen on the beaches smiling and smiling at your words...and those gorgeous images!

    just a lovely little moment away from my world into yours sweet...

    Melissa xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your words
    Daniela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely memories. Oh, the Danish summer. We are so fond of that light because we know it will be gone very soon.
    It's so nice to hear you speak so fondly of the Danish language. Usually we are told that we sound like a throat disease!
    I just came home to find a note from the postman. There's a package waiting for me at the post office....from L'Apothecary!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. how utterly enchanting it all sounds...what a shame you didn't keep the language....quite tricky to master I imagine!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Lou,
    I couldn´t help smilling when I read your post:) So lovely!
    Living in Denmark myself I share your feelings about the Danish Summer and that magic light behind the sky:)
    My daughter loves elderflower cordial and liquorice herself and a stroll through Tivoli Gardens in the Summer is so relaxing...
    I hope you let me know if you come to Copenhagen.
    Maybe Carina, you and I could meet for "smørrebrød"?

    Sending you a Danish Spring hug, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  10. I understand totally that childhood rush that seems to come out of the blue, such an evocative and powerful feeling.
    We have a beautiful wisteria which is currently filling our bedroom with it's wonderful scent. Each day I am reminded of the one I had growing outside my bedroom window as a child.

    The smell of ponies does it for me too!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful. Do you sometimes go back and take your children? xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good idea, Manuela. Have you been to the Royal Cafe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Carina
      At the Sas Royal Hotel?

      Delete
    2. No, at 'Strøget' in the Royal Copenhagen Shop. They serve smushies - a combination of smørrebrød and sushi:-) Overpriced but great.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful message and images too!
    Sounds like you have wonderful memories of your childhood.
    Hope you have a lovely day.
    Lizx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I spent one of my most memorable summers in Denmark + Sweden. I just remember crying like a baby when it was time to go home. My dream is to go back one summer with Hubs xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel the same way, Lou. I'm so incredibly homesick and nostalgic lately. This morning when the garbage truck woke me up, I could have SWORN I was in my bedroom at home at my parents and was late for the school bus. I actually cried.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the memories. I've been thinking a lot lately about how I can ensure my own kids have similar fond memories of happy summers in their childhood.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails