Tread softly...

posted on: Sunday, 15 April 2012

I am being ever so slightly over-sensitive these days. I refer to the creation of the Apothecary brand, which is shaping up to be like a wild, good, hair-raising, roller-coaster process! When it launches, I am going to put myself out there. Yep - out there - way out. My thoughts, my style, my point of view; I have been publishing those here for over two years. But to create a brand and a handful of products, that is feeling like a whole different ball game.

love this image...via lindsey sauter
I sense the need to grow much thicker skin! To develop a new, concise language that articulates what this fledgling business is all about. And where it takes up space in my heart. To take a deep breath every time someone offers an opinion about what they do or don't like about it. I can relate it to when you bring a new baby home and every one coos and ahhhs and says how beautiful he or she is. To you, your creation is perfect, meanwhile they may leave your cocoon of new motherhood and think the exact opposite! The fundamental difference is that you are never told that opinion. Here - it feels like the opposite. And that's absolutely necessary, it's all part of this pursuit and it's how we grow and evolve. How we improve...

I have always been sure of what I like. My attachment to the aesthetics of life has led to countless 'things of beauty' posts here on this blog. Pages and pages of intrinsically beautiful styling. Images that just sing to me the minute I stumble across them. So my task for these coming weeks, as I edge closer to showing you what I have done, is to galvanise myself! To get comfortable with how it will feel to say: "Look, it's here! Tell me what you think!' For without you, I am just a blogger with an eye for beauty. I am so looking forward to it, but in the words of W.B Yeats: Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Reading these lovely words from a dear blog friend...which has come out of nowhere this sunny morning has made me stronger!


12 comments:

  1. inspiring words of wisdom indeed.......perfect for a Sunday morning.....good luck, keep them in mind and yes a thick skin is definately going to help!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Follow your dreams. A friend of mine started a similar business here in Cardiff some years ago. She now sells globally and has finally had to move from an at home business into an office set up with employees. Her business is similarly named to your blog. Check her out, lovely organic stuff:
    www.luluandboo.com
    Di

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness, you must go forward with the courage of your convictions. When you produce what you know to be the absolute best it can be, you will be OK. There are always like-minded people out there to share your enthusiasm. Me, for one !!! Big congrats, Lou, keep moving forward...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck for everything you dream. I'll always be with you.
    Love, daniela

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting. Wishing you all the best - I am sure your baby will be beautiful and perfect! MMxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. that quote is really beautiful! it's so inspirational and thank you for sharing it with us! :)

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/
    Poshlocket Giveaway: Win a Shelly Fabric Choker

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh oh I know the sensitivity thing so well. Sometimes I think of the words of some old lady from my childhood: if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all.

    I have skin like paper, which I try to toughen; must butch up, I tell myself every day. Although, oddly, sometimes I can take robust, full frontal criticism, and then am undone by something seemingly tiny. My only advice: keep buggering on, sod 'em if they can't take a joke, and remember you get to be lovely you with the Boos on dog island, and the nattering negatives just get to be negative. (Although I do of course accept that some critics mean it awfully well.) Now shall stop ranting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just loved the way you write Lou, and the aesthetics of your blog. I'm preparing a post about life-lists for my blog, would you mind if I quoted yours and linked back to you? Thank you!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great blurb from unknown:) Good luck with it all! x LZ

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with your project.
    If your blog is anything to go by its going to be a huge success.
    Lizx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That quote is fabulous!
    Good luck with your venture. Just remember life without dreams is not a life-it's only an existence ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lou, just to let you know that I quoted you today, hope that's OK, you can see it here http://myfrenchcountryhome.blogspot.fr/2012/04/life-lists-and-me.html
    let me know if you want something changed

    thank you
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails