The word is out...

posted on: Monday, 12 March 2012

You know when you've known someone for ages and then they do something that reminds you why you ever liked them in the first place? That's what is happening in our house at the moment. My husband, who I think for years has secretly considered me to be slightly lacking 'The Get Up And Go' needed in life, has seen a revolution. That girl he married who likes the quiet life - she's been lit up and activated and has become a whirling dervish of ideas and clarity. I have not felt this motivated in I don't know how long.

via better than fine, photograph by stewart leishman
Meanwhile, my husband has blurted out the blog secret to more and more people, so my anonymity is now looking like a rapidly diminishing pool of water. I am in conflict; I am OK with that - after all why be so secretive? But then part of me literally wants to hide under a stone. Irrational, I know. Work continues a pace on the Apothecary. My house smells divine once I get mixing those potions. Even Boo has admitted, when I kissed her goodnight, that I smell yummy.


Oh and by the way, it's my birthday today! I am 38. Stranded between mid and late thirties, my mid-life chapter is well underway. I have spent the day in unseasonably hot weather, eating lunch outside in my favourite eatery, sipping rosé wine. We then wandered around town. I have avoided all things retail since Christmas and so I feel as if I have positively earned the right to shop. Sadly though I have not really earned enough money to support this pastime. Back to the potion making...


24 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY. You are so young. Love the picture of the bottles (am slightly obsessed with apothecary bottles) and love the thought of your new venture. Hurrah for you, and the good husband, for being so appreciative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been outed ~ you poor thing!! Once you get your potions going being outed may be a good thing. Happy birthday sweetie ~ glad you had some sunshine to help you celebrate. We had a gorgeous day here ~ it's still 10 C and they are calling for 15 cm of snow tomorrow ~ welcome to March! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! I'd say 38 is definitely mid 30s. Perhaps even early 30s on a good day ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! Sounds like you celebrated it well.

    Sal x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday, Lou! It all sounds so very wonderful - so happy for you! xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy you had a lovely birthday. As you know, my own 38th is only two weeks away. I must say, I feel pretty good about it. Life is good, and there is much to celebrate. I am exhausted, though, and I wish I had some of the energy and excitement that is emanating from your blog lately! So cool that you have a passion and that you're going for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday and may your year be the best ever. May all your dreams come true

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday. Sounds like it was a good one with sunshine and wine. Also sounds like your husband has a new woman in the home - bet he loves that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your husband sounds so proud of you (and your blog) and you sound very energized with all your creative dappling in the Apothecary. What a nice start to your 38th year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Lou. "Yummy" sounds wonderful.
    Love,
    daniela

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Lou. I feel this year ahead is going to be a great one for you, I can feel your energy bouncing off your blog!

    Isn't it wonderful to have this glorious weather.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday, dear Lou!
    I hope you have a lovely day! So happy to see you are full of energy. Warm hug, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, happy, happy birthday Lou and many happy returns of the day. Sounds as if you had a lovely day.... I don't think that one can top good food and a drop of rosé on a warm Spring birthday day !!
    ....and, you are a mere babe in arms Lou so embrace your youth and enjoy every minute of, what I think if I can remember !!, some of the best years ( although I'm still having fun at 61 !!) XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  14. How lovely!!! I voted for yes for your apotecary so I am looking forward to see something come out! CONGRATS on your birthday! So true what you said about marriage....I think your husband is very proud of you and your blog so telling about it makes him happy and proud. I feel the same with mine little blog and my husband. He doesn't understand why I like to keep it quiet....Anyway, have a lovely day and enjoy your birthday hopefully with cake and champagne!
    LOVE, Eli

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tillykke med fødselsdagen! Happy birthday.

    xo
    Carina

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, I love your blog. It brings me joy and inspires me, to bring beauty in my own world.
    Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how you throw that in Little Sis...BTW, it's my Birthday! I love it!! If I could float the largest bouquet of baby pink balloons your way, I would, sending you the biggest birthday wish ever. I hope you are having a spectacular day Lou!!

    Jeanne xx

    PS...I know that feeling, when the cat is out of the bag. I say, run with it... it will bring you joy, promise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh happy belated birthday Lou. This post is so happy and such a wonderful thing to read.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry, somehow missed this post!

    Sounds like a wonderful birthday and you sound super-excited, how lovely!! XX

    ReplyDelete
  20. Having recently started a blog I know exactly what you mean about motivation and renewed energy. I am just loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy birthday to you. Wishing you a healthy and happy 38th year!! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday sweet friend across the globe- sending you much warm sunshine from my garden, where I am busy planting English lavender!

    Hugs- Meilssa xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails