Monday muse...

posted on: Monday, 21 March 2011

We went away for a night to a lovely hotel. Our room had one of those ginormous beds, complete with pillowy white linen and many, many cushions. I swam in the pool when it was completely empty as twilight fell outside. After, chilled champagne and a little black dress for dinner. Interesting company and late night tequilas. There was an open fire in the room that had been lit for us upon our late return. I had a good time, better than I expected if I am honest.

by Polly Wreford
I went to the beautiful Spa and found myself fascinated by those well-groomed, well-heeled women who frequent such places. How do they maintain such a level of grooming? I am intrigued. Grooming (and by this I mean all of the little details; manicured nails, freshly coiffed hair, gleaming smooth skin) is surely for those with time and money in equal measure. I always observe those women in slight awe; the ones who almost defy age by keeping themselves so well put-together that they out do the passing of years. I don't consider myself someone who is influenced by airbrushed images in magazines, I don't read 'Vogue' and then look back at myself and worry. I can appreciate that there is a vast chasm between my life and that of a fashion model.

But in the Spa, when you see those women who are not airbrushed, they look that good in real life, now that does make me think. What I conclude is that if you have enough time and enough money you can do it. That and good genetics, like Eva Mendes here. Some of us are blessed in more ways than others!


I am off to meet an old friend today - one of my oldest, so we can compare notes on how well we are faring in the wrinkle wars!

12 comments:

  1. An open fire in a bedroom is my favourite luxury! Sounds like you had a good time.

    I do feel a bit insecure around those super-groomed women, but I'm not sure I'll want to look back and think I spent such a vast amount of my precious time and money on a beauty regime. I'm torn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a lovely weekend!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a beautiful decadent weekend!!! Have a lovely week xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah well, with wrinkles comes wisdom, so all is not lost! {That's my motto, anyway!}

    You have described the most heavenly sounding weekend. I bet you came back bright eyed and pink cheeked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my - this picture from Eva is simply stunning!
    sounds you had a great time! have a great start in the new week! greetings from sunny germany, geisslein

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm so jealous...what a wonderful getaway! And, geesh, if I had to compare myself to Eva...I might as well throw in the towel!!! ;) xoxo Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I try not to compare either, otherwise I just feel awful.My best friend has the most perfect skin ever. She had her first baby last week and after a long and arduous labor, she still looked fresh faced. Blessed with good genes! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the rose picture - and yes, i admire these women as well, the ones you talk about. I do look after mayself, but am too occupied with too many things to get it all right. I either have dirty shoes, or a broken fingernail, or color on my pants - but, it's even though i have wrinkles, i feel better than when i was younger ... hope it'll be this way for a while ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So true Lou! I almost catch myself staring at such women as I'm intrigued by how they do it. I'm sure as you say, it's a combination of time to put the effort in and money to fund it - but yes... I wouldn't mind a little of that from time to time! Hope you've had a good Monday Sweets! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Lou, your break sounds lovely.

    I think it's a lot of effort to stay groomed. I try and have one day every five weeks and do hair, waxing, facial and pedicure all in one go. Have a good week xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's my kind of perfect romantic weekend escape - lucky you :)
    Well as for the groomed spa bodies - we'll always find someone out there to compare ourselves with but why not just looking at ourselves and being content with how we are, as we do our best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your getaway sounds so lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails