80's nostalgia and boots...

posted on: Monday, 25 October 2010

I got such a hit of 80's nostalgia last night watching 'Adventureland' as 'Feels like Heaven' by The Cure played that it almost made me breathless. This is how nostalgia works with me. I live my normal 2010 life, very much in the moment and then suddenly a whiff of Shalimar perfume or the sound of a long lost Indie track or acknowledging the throw-back revival of certain clothing and it hits me. It takes me back. And I am there in 1988, aged 14, sporting Madonna leg warmers and crimping my hair.

Margarita Levieva in Adventureland

Back to 2010, laundry needs doing (kid's clothes not leg warmers), dishwashers need unloading (again and again like some sort of endless repetitive strain), life is happening. And despite my yearning for those utterly carefree days of youth and if I had a Bill and Ted-esque opportunity to go back to those days I just might, I find my present is all good. I think I am right where I want to be :-)

Along the way, is there a need in my life for some wedge boots like these? They are taunting me...'Lou, you haven't had anything like us before (not counting back in the 80's) you neeeed us, we will revolutionise your life'. It's hard to resist. I have the will power of a gnat...

Happy Monday!

8 comments:

  1. have a nice monday you too... such a lovely discover to find your blog!
    kisses from italy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Long live the crimper. I wish I kept mine. I need it for my 80s Halloween.

    xo M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought wedge boots were 90's? I missed the crimper and leg warmers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Lou, Adventureland sounds right up my street and I love The Cure, I must check it out.

    Household is just never ending. I can't imagine how much you have to do with two children. I am mid life laundry at the moment. It's a mess at the moment but I know it will be wonderful when it's finished. Have a great week xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE wedges, LOVE them I tell you!!!! They are all I seem to be drawn to at the moment, mind you, they are everywhere :)

    And the 1980s....those fashions....eek! Need I say more!! Totally agree about the music though....it can transport you in a second can't it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah I loved the 80's... you know what they say... You can take a girl out of the 80's but you can't take the 80's out of the girl! Loved the fashions back then but I wouldn't want to go back. Well.. may be just for one night and I;d take you with me and we could don the leg warmers and drink vodka and orange or malibu and coke... yuk!! Love those boots... get them!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a mid-80's baby and still remember it all so well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lou it's confession time: I've been wearing leg warmers for two winters...whatever those are here. People look at me like I'm nuts, however this year I think I can safely say I resurrected the trend (hehe).

    Watched The Breakfast Club last night and suddenly felt ANCIENT.

    I wanna see you in your wedges when they come home.

    xoxo,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails