Have a seat...

posted on: Wednesday, 29 September 2010

I have been to visit one of my oldest friends and I know I have said this before, but there is just nothing like seeing an old friend, is there? This seems to be the perennial truth of life. From University to date we have weaved through life, always staying close, despite distance and life changes. She and her husband have simply the coolest house; going to stay is like having a Hip Hotel moment. Her house has been a labour of love over recent months and is now triumphantly finished. What I liked the most was that it was peppered with Louis XIV chairs, even though it's a modern, minimal house. The contrast of old and new looked just wonderful. So I had a seat and we talked and talked and talked...until her most delightful and scrumptious 2 year old daughter said 'STOP TALKING MUMMY!' in exasperation...


So I feel like I have had a tonic of friendship to drink in...just 24 hours of slotting into someone else's life and setting the world to rights on all topics conceivable. Isn't that what friendship is all about? That, and a shared point of view or a fond memory of the same event or a wry smile at something only we know to be true. Just lovely...

Monica Belluci - my friend's lookalike...

8 comments:

  1. I know what you mean Lou... My best friend has been so, since I was 4... we can go for an age without talking... we've even fell out for a couple of years, but when her Mum had a stroke we connected again and we both said how stupid we had been, and that we'd never let that happen again... She came out to Australia to me, to celebrate my birthday and here in the States... She recently told me that she is having a baby and I can't wait to be there for her... I've told her that she has to have a boy, so that he can marry one of my daughters and we can finally become family! It's so nice to hear stories of special friendships... Oh, and your friend sounds gorgeous!Lx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know you have done a lot of talking when a 2 year old tells you so LOL!!

    It sounds as though you had a wonderful visit with your friend....one of those that just makes your soul feel better and that actually, everything is indeed alright with the world.

    My husband adores Monica Bellucci, she is pretty stunning I must say.

    Hugs to you my friend xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing quite like an old friend - someone who knows you inside and out. Sounds like a lovely time was had by all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great friendships...nothing better...ever, xv.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Old friends are like a good tonic aren't they! I moved out of London at the beginning of this year to the countryside, and haven't seen many of my friends for months - time always seems too tight and life too busy. Your post has touched a nerve - I realise how much I've missed a good 'face to face' chat with my girlfriends, so I am now about to pick up the phone and get inviting - Thank you!xx
    p.s. BEAUTIFUL blog and images!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Louise, it sounds like you had such a lovely day.

    I know exactly what you mean.

    Yesterday I met up with one of my old school friends who I havent seen for agessss as she lives on the other side of the country. it was so good to see her though. One of those friends you can talk to anything about and laugh about old memories, i love it. She is what sparked this post http://rofflear.blogspot.com/2010/09/change-is-constant.html as it made me realise the friends i see in Sydney all the time arent really real friends compared to her.
    I hope you are having a good day :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So lovely couch and soft blankie makes for cosy chatting. Two year olds are so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely Louise. I am glad you were able experience such a cool time in what sounds like a cool place with a cool friend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails