The simple things...

posted on: Tuesday, 22 June 2010

Ridiculously grateful, I am. My blog friend Jeanne left me a comment yesterday that i) completely summed up her very cool approach to life and ii) really resonated with me. She said 'it's the simple things that are the most fun for me'. Now this is hardly rocket science (no offence, J!) but still it takes someone to point out the obvious to make me stop and think.

Yesterday, I collected my son from an after-school birthday party at the beach; I arrived to see nine stripped-off 5 year olds jumping in the sand, chasing bubbles. This made me have a surge of pure gratefulness (is that even a word?!), for where we live, near the sea, for him, for happy times.

Yesterday I belatedly read the heart-wrenching piece in The Sunday Times by the actress Natascha Mcelhone, whose husband tragically and suddenly died when she was pregnant with their third child. I howled as I read it. She writes beautifully, but the rawness of her grief...to me, it's unreal. It made me grateful that my husband came home last night.


A friend of a friend, I heard, has breast cancer...she had her operation last week; the loss of so many things, be it anatomy, femaleness, to the life she once knew. Makes me grateful for health, beyond belief, but also so, so sympathetic.

The thing is, getting this down in a blog is tantamount to gushing about one's life in a way that surely makes others recoil. Life is a strange thing. It's the simple things that make life relevant to others. That spark of recognition to think 'yes I know.' The simple things that count. The simple things that kids remember.

So it's the simple things I will think of today...

via are so happy

8 comments:

  1. this post is so touching and like you said...one of those things which is obvious but requires someone to point them out to you. thanks for sharing!

    xo, Persis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lou, I so agree with you. We all need to find joy in the simple things. When you think about it, it is better for the environment and humanity when we can be satiated with very little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post, Louise :) It's hard to remember to be grateful for the little things, but when you stop and really think about it, you realise that there really are so many things for which to be thankful. I should do this more often!

    I read about Natascha Mcelhone's story a little while ago and it just broke my heart. I think she is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is the simple things that make me happy too Louise ~ sometimes a song can put a smile on my face when it takes me back to a memory. Loved your guest post yesterday over at Simone's! Have a sunshiney Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true. I cried buckets too when I read the article about Natascha's loss. I'm grateful for the life my little family has together, we are so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful, powerful post today. The "simple things" are often the most enduring, affecting and important. We have a tendency to over complicate our lives, sometimes we can't believe that less, can so often be more.

    I think we sometimes miss the real quality of what we already have.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Louise,

    You are such a great writer. I love how you open up and really share your feelings. I alwasy look to your blog when I need a soft place to land. Keep it up!

    xo Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  8. :) you know why this post makes me smile....gosh life is so short not to appreciate the small things. Such a timely piece Lou, thank you xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails