Don't worry Boo...

posted on: Wednesday, 23 June 2010

I seem to have inadvertently created a mini-me...but of the less-than-ideal variety. Boo, aged just 9, has some of my strongest emotional characteristics. By some sort of mother/daughter osmosis, despite my best efforts to stop it, she has inherited my worst worry tendency. Oh no...now there is something else to worry about... ;-)


I have well and truly jinxed myself following this post, (bordering on the pious) about attending school events, I now find that inexplicably i) it's school sports day this weekend and I got the date wrong and ii) my husband and I are at a wedding instead. Absolute double-whammy. So Boo is distraught that we will miss her moment of sporting glory and is worried in equal measure that we will be away overnight.

So the worry begins. What time will we leave? Where is the wedding? Do we have to go to the wedding? When will we be back? Will Nanny (my Mum; designated babysitter) know what to do with sports day prize giving? Too many questions in her little mind. I can't restore order to her jumbled thoughts, no matter how soothing I try to be. I find myself using that awful tactic of attempting to solution every objection she makes. That overwhelming parental urge to make it all better. Maybe all she needs is a cuddle? What do I want when I worry? I want the thing I am worrying about to go away, of course!

But in this instance, I can't make it go away; she will have to do her best without us, for once. I'll be the one at the wedding, sipping champagne and enjoying the day but with a little burden of guilt on my shoulders. Mental Note: get better at noting down future events on the calendar!


12 comments:

  1. I want to offer some sage advice, but I don't know what to say. It has to be tough and I can hear it in your voice. You and I are very close in age and I can barely keep up with two cats so I simply admire the tenacity and togetherness you display as a working mom who clearly loves her family. Oh life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I know what you mean, worry and guilt are such a pain aren't they....if only we could cast them aside and just enjoy.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no!! I hate when things like these happen, two very important moments and you have to miss one.... but I'm sure Boo will do fine!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. this free bird has said everything I was going to, perfectly, so I won't add much more. This guilt thing seems to be the worst aspect of being a mother, going by different blog posts. Poor Boo, I'm a bit of a worrier too!

    Thank you so much for your lovely comment (and for following!) on my blog the other day. Everyone was so kind and your support really overwhelmed me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh Lou- i do know how you feel my friend....we are ,of course, all fallible...we make *small* little mistakes- and what feels big now will be *last week* in no time....and you are a wonderful mother- and a part of you will be with her at sports day...and nanny will hold down the fort and next week life will be lovely...but ,as mothers, we will have something else to *worry* about...i have had a week like this with my little audrey and am worrying alongside you over different issues...not that this helps- it's just nice to know we are all in this in some way together...
    melissa xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That just bites ~ really ~ there is no other word other than "sucks".... I tend to worry about things too but I have learned that it does not do any good to do so. I am sure she will be fine ~ go to the wedding and have a fabulous time ~ Nanny has done all of this before and she will do fine too. Hugs to you Lou!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lou, I know what it is like to have that little nagging worry about a daughter to carry around with you. Always there, in the back of your mind.......I won't tell you not to worry as I know you will. At least she will be with her grandmother who knows what it is like to have a worrying child..

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a beautiful blog here you have!!!
    pink flowers are delicious!!!
    thank you sooo much from Spain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lou, wanted to zip back and thank you for your kind words on my recent post. You hit the nail on the head in your comment re: my name. My dad picked my name based on a character in a book he was reading when my mom was pregnant. Little did he know the movie "Carrie" would come out and I would be met by odd looks from others for many years when being introduced...ugh.

    But then there was SATC! Many thanks to Candace Bushnell and SJP for erasing years of scars. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi sweet Lou, so sorry you are having to miss Boo's sports day this weekend. I know she'll be in great hands with your mother, and will have a terrific time. You'll be there for the next one and it was a simple scheduling error, try not to worry! (Easier said than done, I know!!! Just hoping to make you smile!) xoxo - Trish

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please don't fret too much about this. Boo will be sad but she'll get over it and it'll be extra special when you are at her next event. Motherhood is just one big guiltfest isn't it sometimes but it sounds like you are doing a fantastic job! Enjoy the wedding and have an extra glass of champagne to toast your lovely daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah! these things happen. You sound like a fabulous mum. It must be hard when they worry too! I barely worry at all but my boyfriend worries if he has nothing to worry about! xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails