Sister and brother...Boo 1 and 2

posted on: Tuesday, 30 March 2010


How can it be that two children who have come from the same parentage can be so very different?! My two children; one of each - a girl and a boy. In lots of ways they are the same - but their personalities are diametric opposites!

I find the whole process fascinating - how they develop and become people. I met my new nephew on Sunday and was struck how little correlation there is between that tiny little newborn and what he will become; a real thinking person. With my children, its hard to believe they were ever babies like that.

My observations:

My daughter

  • Oh-so-complex...there's a alot of female angst - even at the age of 8.
  • Needs a daily fix of reassurance.
  • Conducts an elaborate falling asleep regime every night. This consists of shouting out 'I can't get to sleep' and needing to tell everyone in the house.
  • Pretty as a painting; delicate and graceful. I think she is so beautiful it makes my heart ache.
  • Indecisive.
  • Worries about consequences.
  • Worries generally.
  • Astute, empathetic.
  • Funny, wry, sharp-minded.
  • Gymnastic-bouncing, willowy.
  • Loving.
My son
  • What you see is what you get.
  • Blonde curls - surfer boy.
  • Makes decisions, sticks with it, no deviation, no regrets.
  • Says he's not tired then falls asleep within 2 minutes flat.
  • Cuddly and gives cuddles, snuggly, warm.
  • No agenda; hidden or otherwise.
  • Comedy clown - has a knack for making people laugh and smile.
  • Passionate.
  • Football-kicking, rugby-ball-carrying.
  • Sturdy, strong.
  • Straight-forward.
Chalk and cheese?

And so, thank you so much for all of your comments and advice from my last post. Maybe the Universe is unaligned at the moment?

We had a pyjama day yesterday, the kids and I. First day of Easter holidays - pouring rain and wind outside. We lit the fire, lolled on the sofa and watched TV all day, had porridge and sprinkles for dinner, got an early night and now, I feel abit better :-)

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!!

    I know our children are similar ages so certain similarities might be expected....but, honestly, you could have been writing about my two children!!! So strange :)

    I laughed out loud when you said about your son "Says he's not tired then falls asleep within 2 minutes flat".....YES, YES, YES!!!!

    My two were very easy babies and my daughter continues to be very easy-going. I think the difference is that with my daughter I returned to work part-time whereas with my son, I have been a full-time mother....and while he is easy in his own way, he is a total boy....full of energy from his first waking moment until he flakes out at night, always wanting to do something active and NEVER stops talking....totally exhausting LOL!!!

    He is very straightforward though - your point about having no agenda is such a good one....whereas I have definitely noticed with my daughter that emotionally she is becoming a little more complex...as her her friends.....ugh, that "girl stuff" is complicated sometimes!!

    My son has not a care in the world whereas my daughter can also be a worrier and is very sensible - luckily, my husband and I are both eldest children so I can identify with that!

    And the elaborate falling asleep routine with your daughter....tell me about it....my daughter takes FOREVER....always has done!!

    Loved this post Louise...thanks for making me smile....and for making me feel better, it's always reassuring when you have those "me too" moments! :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a lovely picture of your kids! Am I spying her new red Converses? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still think the same thing about my 3 girls. All born within 3 and 1/2 years, given the same things to eat and bought up by the same set of rules but they are all so different and some have traits I don't like! Little Man is very different again but I guess you expect that more with the opposite sex.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous post - your children sound wonderful... as does the porridge with sprinkles! I am fast becoming addicted to your blog! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. i LOVE this post! i must copy! your children sound wonderful! i have one boy and one girl and it is funny how different they are! thanks for sharing about your cuties! xo

    ps. what are sprinkles?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails